25 Aug

Saturday was about the most unproductive day in a long time and it was killing me! The weather was gorgeous, Zach and I had no plans for the most part so we could have done just about anything but mango mouth had me immobile. I had planned on at least going to yoga in the morning but when I woke up I knew that wasn’t going to happen. My face was even more swollen and more itchy than it had been on Friday. I looked (and felt!) like I had hundreds of individual little bumps all around my mouth and chin, out onto my cheeks, some on my neck, a few around my eyes and some by my hairline. Sigh.

I got up and wasn’t hungry in the least bit (this mango mouth takes my appetite too!) but knew I needed to eat so I cut up an apple. I literally ate 2 slices before I had to stop. The opening my mouth and the chewing made my entire face itch so badly I couldn’t handle it. I ran to put benadryll gel on to help ease the itching and did a lot of nothing for the next two hours. Then I lay down and had a sort-of nap. Back up and forced myself to eat a piece of pizza, mainly because it was easy to chew and already ready and I cut it into tiny pieces.

I did some research and found this “miracle soap” called Zanfel and realized it had better work a miracle since it was $35 for 1 ounce!!! Mom was out at Wal-Mart and picked some up for me and brought it over. It’s supposed to remove any traces of urushiol (the poison) from your skin, stop the itching and help clear up your rash. Using it feels quite awful as it is gritty and rough and my face was already raw but it did indeed seem to help. I used it shortly before we had a meeting with our doula and it got me through at least. It was our very last meeting with Jenn! Next time we see her we’ll be having a baby…

We went to Mom and Dad’s after the meeting so Zach could keep helping Dad build the awning and I laid around on the couch watching TV with Mom. They got KFC for dinner and I made myself eat some stuff. I was really just counting down the hours until I could go home and take some benadryll and pass out though which at 8:45pm on a Saturday is exactly what I did.

Saturday’s Food Journal:

  • Breakfast – 2 slices of apple?
  • Lunch – 1 pc. pizza
  • Supper – v8, mashed potatoes, macaroni, 2 small cookies

Well, it’s exactly what I did except for the passing out part. Benadryll usually knocks me out flat but unfortunately it didn’t seem to do it’s trick. I wasn’t horribly itchy at least but I tossed and turned until finally falling actually asleep a little after midnight and then waking up about every hour. Good grief.

Sunday morning I got up, used my Zanfel (for I think the 3rd time by this point) and examined myself. I definitely in no way, shape or form looked like my normal self but it did look better than on Friday and Saturday. It felt a little better too. I was glad for this because I had another shower that day! I made myself eat some grapes for breakfast and then tried to make myself look as presentable as possible.

Zach and I went to church and I felt slightly itchy during the service but luckily afterward at my shower I was so busy and distracted that I didn’t have any time hardly to think about my face! After telling everyone why it looked the way it did that is… The women from my Bible study are the ones who put the shower on and they did such a beautiful job!! Everything was positively adorable!

IMG_5366 IMG_5367 IMG_5370 IMG_5381 IMG_5392 IMG_2215

They had such a good food selection set out and eating was the first thing we did. Along with people filling out these sweet prayer sheets for the baby!


Now I tried to edit my face some but it doesn’t really take away from the puffiness that kind of changes the whole shape of things so try to excuse the pictures where I don’t look so much like Jordan! My mom was there of course since she goes to the same church anyway but Vicki came too and so did my Grandma!


Here are the sweet Bible study ladies who put this thing on for me-


I wasn’t the only one pregnant at the shower, Bailey is due mid-November!


After eating we got into some games. The first one was called “Jordan is Right!” and it was such a fun game that I’d never seen at a baby shower before!


I was excited to be a contestant as I’m highly competitive. 😉


They had me try to guess the prices of various baby objects and everyone yelled things out at me from the crowd. It was overwhelming haha.

IMG_2251 IMG_2264

Right as my timer went off I realized I had one thing wrong that was going to change everything and sure enough I only got 2 right. But then I was allowed to “phone a friend” and chose Lani since she’s had 5 kids!


With her help and my fixing my previous mistakes we got them all right, go us!


After this everyone teamed up and decorated burp cloths with fabric markers. It was fun to see the different designs and messages everyone was coming up with.

IMG_2286 IMG_2293

Then I got to hit my gift table with the cute Baby Izzy sign 🙂


I will only share a smattering of present opening but let me tell you, I got a lot of great, much-needed things off my registry!!


This blanket my grandma made me is absolutely incredible. She embroidered the whole thing with prayers and sayings from these books Mom and her used to read me when I was little and she had to put each letter individually into the machine and it’s just so detailed and amazing!


My Kiinde breastfeeding gift set – very pleased to get this one.


From the Bible study ladies, our highchair that converts from newborn to baby to toddler, another one we really had been hoping to get!


And then, I was absolutely floored to receive from like 15 different women in the church…


Our stroller + car seat combo!!!! This was one of the most expensive things we registered for and a very important one (obviously) and I was just so excited and grateful to receive it! Now we can get the carseat installed and that’s a big step. 🙂

At the end of the shower I judged the play dough babies that everyone had been sculpting while I opened gifts. Quite hilarious.

IMG_2375 IMG_2379

I was so humbled to have them plan me such a special day and it was above any expectations. It even made me forget about my face for awhile! Back at home I shared all the gifts with Zach and started getting pretty itchy again so I washed my face with Zanfel one more time.

We lazed around even though I really wanted to go for a walk. Being outside in the sun at all makes my face feel too itchy so I was confined to the indoors. We had rescheduled our maternity photos for Sunday evening but luckily my photographer was so understanding and rescheduled us, yet again, this time for Thursday. Good thing because not only was my face bad but it ended up raining too!

Mom and Dad invited us over to eat take-out Texas Roadhouse on their new and revised patio which turned out very nicely. My Grandpa was there too and we all visited and ate. Zach and I had plans to walk that evening when the sun was obscured by clouds but right after we left it began POURING. So we took a drive instead and headed out of Muncie beyond the rain which was strange to look back at our city under a dark blanket and be back out in the sunshine. Night ended with Netflix and I prayed that the mango mouth would keep turning for the better…

Sunday’s Food Journal:

  • Breakfast – grapes
  • Lunch – veggies & dip, pita & hummus, chicken salad sandwich, pasta salad, 1 cookie, 1 cupcake
  • Supper – salad, 3/4 mashed potatoes, 3/4 macaroni


  1. hungryforbalance August 25, 2015 at 2:17 pm #

    That is seriously thoughtful shower! Your Grandma is so wonderful for making you (and Izzy!) that special blanket. I love the play dough babies idea!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: