27 Oct

This week is going to be a busy one for sure but it all points to a fun reward come Friday- our big Halloween party!! First let’s go back to last Friday though. After Thursday’s not-feeling-so-good, didn’t-exercise-at-all, I felt much better and wanted to get some good movement in. I developed an hourly plan for the day that looked like this:

  • 7-8am: do 30 minutes on the gazelle
  • 8-9am: eat oatmeal with blueberries, 200 jumping jacks
  • 9-10am: 50 push-ups
  • 10-11am: 50 lunges
  • 11-12pm: pull-up practice
  • 12-1pm: salad
  • 1-2pm: 50 crunches, 5 minutes jump rope
  • 2-3pm: bridge
  • 3-4pm: 200 jumping jacks
  • 4-5pm: nothing
  • after work: run

With the exception of practicing my bridge (totally forgot about that one for some reason) and 70 jumping jacks for the last set, I completed my whole day! It was a busy day anyway and adding hourly exercises in made it crazy but I enjoyed it for something to keep me moving after a kind of slow week. I sure couldn’t commit to doing that all the time but once in awhile for a boost it was great! At the end of the day I fixed up this Cilantro Lime Rice that I had made before for a family night. It was for a family night again that Zach and I had to get to shortly after work. Between fixing my dish and needing to get ready I had no time to head to the gym, really no time for a workout at all, but my schedule said to run and so run I did! After I set the rice to simmer I literally ran out my door for a very quick mile in my neighborhood. Not a long run but anything is better than nothing. 🙂 I got home in time to take my rice off the heat, throw on a different outfit and head back out the door.

We went over to Trent and Mary’s house to have a family dinner/celebrate Vicki’s birthday all in one. Mary made delicious shrimp and these wonderful vegetables.

IMG_6277 IMG_6278

They were sliced up zucchini, squash, tomato, potato and sweet potato cooked in the oven and topped with Italian seasoning and Italian cheese blend. They were so tasty and I ate a good amount of them! (Plus I got to take some home for later.) We brought a bottle of riesling that Vicki really liked so that was good and then we got to one of the best parts of the night-


Carrot cake from Concannon’s! Mmmmm. We had a fun time visiting and playing with the kids. Noah and Natalee are in my daycare and it’s fun to see them outside of school. Love these little guys!

IMG_6289 IMG_6293

Before Zach and I took off we got a picture of all the women.


Great family dinner! We had to get back home because Ryan was visiting from Bloomington and he was already at our house. Hillary came and joined us and she and I colored while the boys visited and occasionally all 4 of us would have a conversation together. It was relaxing and fun and reminded me of high school, just hanging out doing a lot of nothing except being with each other. 🙂

IMG_6295 IMG_6299

I went to bed shortly before 11 when Hillary went home because I was beat and knew the weekend ahead would be busy…

Friday’s Food Journal:

  • Breakfast – oatmeal w/blueberries
  • Lunch – salad
  • Supper – veggies, shrimp, rice, 1 pc. cake, 2 glasses wine

Saturday morning I was up and at ’em for yoga. Vicki picked me up, we drove over there aaaannnnnd no yoga. Our studio was being ripped apart inside! Apparently for renovations but no one told us! We didn’t let that get us down though, we came back to my house and I put on my favorite youtube yoga video and we did a half hour of “fat-burning yoga” right in my living room. You can always adapt. 🙂 After yoga Vicki went home and Zach and I headed out to the track at Yorktown. He is wanting to start running for marathon training again and he had a fitness test type thing to do. You run a mile, rest a minute and repeat for 3 miles to try to get your average mile pace. Initially I was going to do this too but I knew I would be done way after him and decided to do my own thing so I just ran 2 miles around the track with no stops and then waited for him to finish. It was a GORGEOUS fall day out, not a cloud in the sky, and I thoroughly enjoyed laying on the bleachers on my back with my music playing through my headphones while Zach ran his last couple of laps. His average pace per mile when he was done? 7:00 exactly. That’s 7 minutes for 3 miles…. Ummm pretty sure I have never even ran 1 mile in under like 8:40 something. That boy is fast!! 🙂

The rest of the day was just as busy- menu planning (doing something unusual this week, tell you tomorrow!!), showering, running to the Halloween store (got our costumes!!) and then Zach had to go ref while I made my dessert for that night’s church bonfire. I resurrected something that I had only made once but that we all obsessed over when I made it – Reese’s Brownies with Peanut Butter Buttercream. Since you can click on that old post and from there click on the recipe if you so desire, I’ll just share a plethora of baking photos instead of details. 🙂

IMG_6300 IMG_6302 IMG_6303 IMG_6305 IMG_6306 IMG_6307 IMG_6309 IMG_6312 IMG_6316

To my credit, I did not have any more of the batter or frosting than a good spatula licking of each + just a couple mini reese’s. Trust me, that’s self-control. 🙂 While my brownies were in the oven Mom came over and we walked around my neighborhood for 20 minutes. I had to pop back in my house and take the brownies out to cool and we walked another 23 minutes in the beautiful weather before I had to continue fixing my dessert. It was nice getting a good long walk in and nice to have two such active days in a row after the lethargy of the previous two! I finished up the brownies and we all went out into the country for our annual Harvest bonfire. This party is always a lot of fun and Zach and I haven’t been able to go the past 3 or 4 years because it always fell the same weekend as sectionals. Not this year though and we were really excited to be able to attend. I set up my dessert in the barn with a little placard and all.


The four of us played a little corn hole before it was time to eat…


Then when a good portion of our church was gathered out in the Wright’s giant yard, we got to dig in. I ended up having 1 1/2 plates over the course of the night and besides having a couple bites of a small piece of my dessert I had no desserts! That’s not like me. It wasn’t even on purpose, I just got full from the food and never wanted any. I had super small portions of the following things: veggie pizza, veggies and dip, soup, cheesy potatoes, mac and cheese, meatballs, potato salad and pasta salad. I literally served myself like 3 bites of each thing so I could fit everything I wanted on my plate. 🙂 It was all delicious! My brownies went rather quickly too, I had none left by the end of the night which is always a good thing. It was beautiful when the sun went down, I love being in the country.


Everyone sat in their camp chairs and visited while we ate.


The little kids got to ride on Jerry, the Wright’s very old and very adorable donkey.


The last of the fall day faded away…

IMG_6337 IMG_6344

And I tried to make friends with some cows who weren’t too interested.


The rest of my family laughed at me.


As it got dark everyone moved down by the roaring fire to sit on hay bales.

IMG_6350 IMG_6353

We all talked and laughed and the kids went on hayrides. Zach and Dad thought it was their duty to hide in the trees and jump out and scare the kids. We all cracked up whenever we heard the screaming coming from the wagon. The night was incredibly clear and you could see soooo many stars. It helped tremendously that there is no light pollution in the country. I tried and tried to get a photo of the stars while we sat by the fire but couldn’t quite figure it out. When Zach and I left we sat out in our car in the field and he looked up on his phone what I should do to try and get a star picture so I adjusted the settings on my DSLR for a very long exposure and tried to keep it as still as possible and got this-


!! Not great quality at all, grainy and out of focus, but considering all I have ever been able to capture is just pitch black or it won’t even take, I was very excited. I climbed on top of the car to get one with a little depth of field to it-


Again, it needs work, but for a start I will take it! I know if I had my tripod and remote they could have been even better. Can’t wait for the next starry evening! We came home to watch a little Dexter before calling it a night.

Saturday’s Food Journal:

  • Breakfast – banana w/PB
  • Lunch – few bites of veggies, few tastes of dessert (no time for lunch!!)
  • Supper – 1 1/2 plates of food + soup

Sunday morning now. Zach headed to church to run slides, I slept wonderfully until my alarm went off and then joined him. We had a great service preached by someone other than our usual pastor and it was a good message all about how important the church is to a Christian life. He emphasized that “church” is not an event, it is a community and a family. I sure am thankful for mine! He headed home after and I went to Mom and Dad’s because Mom and I had to head to Indy. We ate quickly (I brought my own leftovers) and then I drove their awesome yellow camaro down to Castleton. I love the looks I get when driving that car. 🙂 The reason for the trip is that Mom and Dad gave me “birthday money” and I hadn’t shopped with it yet. I told Mom we would be able to do the whole visit in one store and I was right- H&M it was! We spent a good 2 1/2 hours looking over every single piece of clothing, pulling absolutely anything from the racks that I wanted to try on and then began the tedious changing room process. The line to try things on was pretty long and you could only take 7 things in at a time and then had to go to the back of the line and start over. I had 33 things… No judgement! It’s crucial to weigh all your options in a store you rarely visit. 🙂 Mom was such a trooper and stood with my insane amount of clothes, ready to switch things out with me every time I came back out. It was a long process but I came away with 6 new things that I cannot wait to wear!!

By the time I got back home I had barely any time to eat some leftovers with Zach and then head to our Sunday night class. This week was about the various translations of the Bible and how we got our modern-day versions. Very informational! Once again we were on the move right after class. This time to the grocery to get our supplies for the week. We had a cart FULL of fruits and veggies for a specific theme of the week… Finally, finally it was time to relax after shopping. I put on comfy sweats and we went over to Nick’s for our second week of our new Sunday night tradition, Walking Dead with friends! Zach, me, Andre, Nick, Hillary and Andrew & Nick’s friend Jack (who is now coming to our Halloween party!) had a really fun time commentating our way through the show. I already love this routine! Came home and went straight to bed and, whew!, that was the weekend.

Sunday’s Food Journal:

  • Breakfast – berries
  • Lunch – veggies w/grits
  • Supper – shepherd’s pie

900.5/1,400 miles. 176.5/150 running miles.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: